WIEDE´S was established in 1903 by Dr.-Ing. h.c. Alfred Wiede at the village of Aigenstadl near the town of Freyung / Germany to produce Calcium Carbide, which had been a basic pre-product for the chemical industry at that time.
Alfred Wiede´s interest in gemstones went back to impulses during his studies at the world´s oldest mining academy of Freiberg / Saxony. So he started up a ruby production in 1913 as an addition to the carbide business.
In the 2nd half of last century new petrochemical processes marginalized the Calcium Carbide business. R&D focused on special Synthetic Corundum Crystals for various applications, which are supplied worldwide for decades now.
In the late seventies of last century Cubic Zirconia - as an almost perfect diamond substitute - was added to the range of synthetic rough crystals.
WIEDE´S tradition as family enterprise for more than one century is carried on now by the 5th generation – and history continues!