established in 1903
by Dr. Ing. h.c. Alfred Wiede at the village of Aigenstadl near the town of Freyung / Germany
to produce Calcium Carbide,
which had been a basic pre-product for the chemical industry at that time.
Alfred Wiede´s interest in gemstones
went back to impulses during his
studies at the world´s oldest mining academy
of Freiberg / Saxony.
So he started up a ruby production in 1913
as an addition to the carbide business.
In the 2nd half of last century
new petrochemical processes
marginalized the Calcium Carbide business,
leading to focus R&D on
special Synthetic Corundum Crystals
for various applications to be supplied
worldwide for decades now.
late seventies of last century Cubic
- as an almost perfect diamond substitute -
was added to the range of synthetic rough crystals.
WIEDE´S tradition as family enterprise for more than one century
is carried on now by the 5th generation.